We can only function if enough people come forward to help with some of the administrative tasks. None are onerous, there is no long term commitment, and they are designed to be many and small so that those who want can can do different things each film. A perk is the opportunity of visiting external workshops and film screenings, sometimes with financial help of a bursary. We always have a good time and aim to offer as professional a service as possible. Some of us share a meal just before the show.
Car Park Attendant
- Helps people park leaving space for emergency vehicles then ropes off the car park until after the film
Discussion Group Leader
- Sell hot and cold drinks and tasty treats
- Encourages debate after the show to enhance the experience by sharing opinions of various aspects of the film
- Assists infirm viewers by transporting them between their home and the cinema
- Gets information from the audience to help us put on a better show next time
- Tends the sick
Reserve with a can do attitude
- Set out tables and chairs before the show then stack them away after
- Is willing and able to stand in at no notice for any other volunteer
- Sits on the door and controls entry, taking payment and maintaining the attendance sheet. In the event of a riot stands willing to subdue the revolting masses
- Climbs on the roof to operate the blackouts before and after the show
Driver (long haul)
- Helps local businesses who would welcome the valuable opportunity of promoting their services to our audience
- Collects and returns equipment we borrow in the week before and after a show
- Erects A3 posters on poles four days before the show then dismantles them after.
- Advertises each show using various social media and email messages.
- Meet four times a year to discuss the suggestions collected over the previous quarter and choose a shortlist of films that all members are then invited to vote on for the next quarter's screenings
- Decorate the hall and perhaps volunteers appropriately for the film to give the audience an immersive experience
- Deliver fliers to local businesses before the show and collect them after
- Pound the streets accosting passers by soliciting new audiences and suggestions
- Matches up volunteers to tasks as this changes for every film
- Takes the designer's image and produces the A3/A4/A5 posters and fliers for each film ready for the shop walkers to deliver.
- Produces original artwork to adorn our advertising material.
- Works with interviewer to capture people’s comments so that we end up with a short film that can be used to entertain us, advertise for new members, sway grant giving bodies, and impress our peers
- Responsible for overall smooth operation of the show. The job starts in the weeks before by ensuring the film is ordered, licensing arrangements made, advertising delivered appropriately, trailer and short selected, coordinates volunteer rota, prepares attendance sheet, seeks out and resolves all problems. After the screening accounts for cash, reports audience figures to licensor, and follows up feedback.
- Works with the camcorder operator to solicit audience opinions
- Test screens a few days before then sets up and operates audio and video equipment.
- Sources and assembles audio and visual treats for the audience before the main feature begins
If any (or all) of the above interest you please email Eugene@RusthallCinema.club and share your interest